Volunteer tax preparers in the AARP Tax-Aide Program will provide free tax filing assistance on Individual and Joint returns at the Louis T Graves Memorial Public Library, 18 Maine Street in Kennebunkport on Wednesdays from 9am-1pm from February 5 through April 9, 2014. Membership in AARP is not required and no appointment is necessary. All ages are welcomed.
Like thousands of other volunteers across the country, the local AARP Tax-Aide volunteers complete training courses in aspects of tax law with materials supplied by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The volunteers provide free electronic filing services using IRS software that also is used by many paid professionals.
Individuals for tax assistance are asked to bring all necessary paperwork, including the following:
- A copy of last year’s tax return and tax records;
- Social security or Tax ID number for self, spouse, and dependents;
- Unemployment compensation statements;
- SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security benefits;
- Income documents, including W-2, 1099, K-1, etc.;
- all forms indicating federal income tax paid;
- information about tax-deductible items, including dependents, interest, real estate tax bill, state tax bill, charitable donation receipts, etc.;
- all receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions.